Teaching online requires the right tools.
Set Up Your Tools and Course Site
Find Your Canvas Course Site
- All academic courses taught at the University of Minnesota have a Canvas course site that is automatically created. Even if you don’t use Canvas, your course site is there for you and your students are automatically enrolled in it.
- The Canvas Dashboard displays all the course sites associated with you. Find the name of your course and the appropriate term (i.e., PSY 1001, 2020 Spring).
- When you first enter your Canvas course site, you will see an empty site.
- You can use the Keep Teaching: Canvas template as a starting point for your Canvas course site. The template was created for instructors who are new to Canvas and includes a sample home page, a sample assignment, a sample discussion, and a sample quiz. All items can be modified to fit your teaching needs. The Keep Teaching - Import Template video (2 minutes) demonstrates how to use the template.
- For further guidance about adding content to your site, see Connect, Teach Online, Communicate, & Assess and Evaluate pages on this site.