The University supports several options for communicating with your students online. Choose one method so that students know what to expect and you can track messages.
Keep in Touch with Your Students
Set Up Your Canvas Profile for Communication
Canvas allows instructors and students to control where and when they receive notifications about Canvas activity. As you determine your communication plan, think about how notifications can support timely interactions with your students.
- Set up your notification preferences as an instructor.
- Ensure students receive your communications promptly by directing them to set up their personal notifications.
Provide a Forum for “Questions About This Course”
Send Emails with the Canvas Inbox
Share Information with Canvas Announcements
Instructors can post an announcement for everyone in their courses through Canvas.
- Announcements are typically sent as an email; be sure students know this is dependent on notification settings.
- Leave the “Announcements” section viewable in the left Course Navigation links so that the archive of information is available to students.
- Manage announcement replies to allow or restrict further student conversation.